Friday, November 23, 2012

Question 9 Comments

My commission based income dwindled to virtually nothing, although I was still technically employed.

I am self-employed and my revenues are down 45%.  There is no safety net for the self-employed, such as unemployment benefits.  All we have are our savings and the equity in our homes.  Both of mine are depleted.  I will not be able to retire and hope to die young.

There is plenty of work if you are willing to change. There is only the promise of opportunity

I have had various immediate family members unemployed, working part-time jobs (sometimes more than one at a time), or consulting on their own during 2007-2010

As I was forced to close a business, no unemployment benefits were available

We gave up on "employment" after the recession post 9/11 and became self-employed 10 years ago. Been struggling but are making it narrowly, ever since.

You really ought to have some sort of explanation on what you refer to as 'the American dream'. It's a pretty vague concept. Also ask for comments at the end.

Family suffered a significant reduction in income -- although everyone remained employed --- mostly.

I have been out of work for 2 1/2 years despite dozens of interviews

I was involved in Work-Share, a one day a week lay-off / unemployment program

Retired/Self employed

I have been seriously under-employed, though

I became unemployed on 1 January 2008 and received my first decent contract just this month.  I cannot find a salaried position.  I'd just like to add that I have a Ph.D. from an elite, Eastern university minted in 1989, am a prize-winning author, and am reasonably well connected.  I have worked at some of the country's most prestigious institutions (Stanford, UC Berkeley, and UCSF) and still cannot find a job--not a teaching job, mind you, but an administrative position.  Most recently, in September, I had nine (9) separate interviews for a position in the Executive Vice Chancellor's office at UCSF.  Nine interviews, including a meeting with the chancellor herself (with whom I worked 15 years ago at Genentech).  How could I possibly believe in the so-called American Dream?  I thought this was going to be a survey about the DREAM Act, which is why I clicked on it in the first place.

I have been unemployed since November 2008.

I have been technically unemployed since Oct '07, working odd jobs & temp positions since then.

My first unemployment was 2001, along with someone in my immediate family. It has been a financial rollercoaster.

Presently unemployed for over a year and a half


No comments:

Post a Comment